There are a number of rites of passage in American culture that people tend to use to signify the onset of adulthood: driver’s license, voting, graduating from high school, reaching the legal drinking age, or graduating from college, just to name a few.
I have a few slightly different ones. Each one, however, represented a sense of “aha!” where suddenly felt like I could manage adult life and had moved forward in some indefinable way.
– Figuring out how to put together my first dinner for people other than family.
– Filling out my own FAFSA for the first time.
– Managing to do the taxes.
– Dealing with spiders on my own.
– Learning to argue with my health insurance company.
What are yours?
Curious about Microblog Mondays? To read the others or submit your own, please go to Stirrup Queens and check it out!