I like to think I’m not particularly superstitious, but when Arthur and I got down to talking about the nuts and bolts of transferring one of our two remaining embryos in the fall, I couldn’t help it. I used to love fall. My birthday is in late October and I’m a huge fan of pumpkin spice everything, jack-o-lanterns, the beautiful days with crisp evenings, and the leaves turning brilliant colors. However, the last few years have gone something like this:
A few days before my 30th birthday – Diagnosed with PCOS and told that it was “not impossible, but unlikely” that we’d be able to conceive on our own.
31st birthday – In the middle of ovarian stimulation/egg retrieval for the first IVF cycle that ended in miscarrying twins.
Shortly after my 32nd birthday – Arthur unexpectedly lost his job and I started bleeding with the SCH (both on the same day!).
33rd birthday – My brother shot himself.
SO…while I can intellectually accept that all of this is unrelated and probably coincidence, fall just doesn’t seem to hold the good sort of surprises for me.
We looked at each other when I brought this up and I knew as soon as I said it that we probably needed to put the transfer off a couple of months. Not only did it give us some much needed financial breathing room, it gave me some emotional breathing room.
I don’t know how I’ll handle that first anniversary of my brother’s death. I do know that the stress inherent in a transfer cycle, mega-doses of progesterone and, if I was lucky, HCG in my system won’t make it easier emotionally. I also know that it’s not the time to deliberately set myself up for the terrible disappointment of a negative beta, the anxiety of an early pregnancy, or the devastating loss of miscarriage. If we got pregnant on our own around that time, well, we’ll cross that bridge if we ever come to it, but making a choice to throw a transfer in there is a whole other situation.
I have such mixed feelings surrounding putting transfer(s) off until early 2017. Relieved because I just don’t know how much more stress/loss I can take right now, and it’s a wonderful chance to get to simply enjoy parenting E (who has become a great deal of fun to interact with). Hopeful because we have two frozen embryos and some time for natural cycles. Frustrated because at some level, I’m tired of infertility. I’m tired of knowing that we likely have about $7,000 – 10,000 in RE bills coming to complete the transfers. I’m tired of waiting and just want to be finished with the process.
Regardless, I know it’s the right decision.
In a month or two when my met.formin prescription runs out, I’ll probably make an appointment to re-up that and do the saline sonogram to check my uterus for scar tissue or other problems. I’m hoping sonogram comes back okay, but at least if there are issues, we have some time to mull over options before next spring.
In the meantime, we’re informally seeing if something breaks loose in a natural cycle. Truthfully, I don’t see this happening. We needed a lot of medical intervention to get pregnant, have no idea at this point if my left fallopian tube is open, and while I am having surprisingly regular cycles, we never made lots of great quality embryos during the IVF cycles. I know what the deck looks like, and it’s not stacked in our favor. At some level though, it’s almost as if I need to try this for a while – if just to satisfy my curiosity and answer the “what if” in my head.